Tuesday, October 20, 2009

I made it around the Bay!

Sunday October 18: a day that has been highlighted on my calandar for the past 6 months, the day I would attempt to ride 210 kms around Melbournes Port Phillip Bay along with a few thousand other stupid cycling enthusiasts. I had managed to coax a work collegue and fellow bike rider, Sam "The Man" to take on the challenge with me and we were both pumped and ready to go, sort of. Would we make it or wouldn't we, only time would tell (I kind of spoiled it in the title).

The Journey: ride begins in Melbourne (top of the map) and proceeds anti-clockwise around the bay for 110 kms to Queenscliff where we board a ferry to Sorrento, followed by another 100 kms back to the city.

Sam "The Man" and Dr Dopey grabbing a quick bite to eat at Geelong (80 kms mark). Still smiling after riding most of the way into a head wind and suffering the boredom and smells of the old Geelong Road

The Queenscliff to Sorrento Ferry (above) marked the half way point, time for lunch and a chance to catch up with some of the other riders (below).
Sam and I after leaving the ferry in Sorrento for the remaining 100 kms along the coast (above). Mentally ready but legs, bums and bits not so sure.

The Finish Line, finally

The Proof: 210.01 kms
Ride time: 8 hrs 25 min
Avg speed: 25 kms/hr

No comments: